Features of the Table
Who says table tennis is an indoor-only sport? Butterfly’s all-weather table featuring a synthetic laminate top means you can take your ping-pong matches out of the house and into the great outdoors. This table’s durability goes beyond just the playing surface, however. The sturdy frame of the Butterfly TW24B also stands up to the elements while providing stability and safety. However, considering that Butterfly has quite the reputation for producing high quality equipment, none of this should come as a surprise.
- The Butterfly TW24B demonstrates how great engineering and design matters even in the world of sports and recreation, including table tennis tables. The welded chassis of this table is impressive, from sturdy steel legs to stabilizing crossbeams. The legs are ideally placed so as not to inhibit fancy footwork during heated matches, and it all rests upon a set of 5-inch double wheels that make it easy to move to new location as well as to move into storage areas. All of this supports an impressive playing surface consisting of a synthetic laminate capable of handling all sorts of weather conditions, from rain to heat to humidity.
- Beyond structural integrity, this table also includes some safety features. Small children can easily be injured by falling tennis tabletops, sustaining serious injuries. This model has two different items designed to avoid such unfortunate accidents. First, there are a set of two safety levers on both sides of the tabletop that prevent it from opening. Additionally, a center cross brace in the frame of the table provides a barrier to children going under the table when it is in the folded storage configuration.
- Storage is not only safe, but also simple. There is no need to remove the table’s net and post equipment prior to folding and stowing. Folding it up is simple. The dimensions of the folded table are only 71 inches by 25 inches by 73.5 inches. Once secured, the 5-inch wheels at the base of the legs make wheeling it over various surfaces generally pretty easy.
- What makes this table great for easy storage and stowing also makes it a breeze for switching to single-player playback mode. A quick fold and securing of one side quickly provides a backboard for bounce back practicing. However, its greatest attributes come from it being so well suited for outdoor use. The top is designed to withstand all sorts of weather conditions, but it goes beyond just that. From a sturdy frame to wheels that handle all sorts of surfaces (and the transitions in between) this table is a great option for anyone looking for a poolside or patio set-up.
- Part of what makes the Butterfly table tennis table such a great option for all weather playing may also be one of its biggest drawbacks. The synthetic laminate top that handles so many weather possibilities may not provide the ideal playing surface. Specifically, the bounce of the ball is different on this surface from other more traditional surfaces.
- Stability is a great thing, as is sturdiness. However, the upshot of those things is often a lot of mass. This table, perched atop some impressive wheels, weighs in at about 160 pounds. This may pose some issues when moving it or assembling it. Beyond that, despite some impressive engineering going into the frame, the quality does not necessarily extend into other areas, from poorly fitted wheels to poorly attached tops. Part of this may stem from some less than ideal assembly instructions, where different types of nuts are easily confused and specific tools may be required and actual written directions are not provided – only a series of sketches.
- As for the wheels on the TW24B, they may make this table a breeze to move from one location to another. Unfortunately, they sometimes work a little too smoothly. When in the folded-up configuration, the tabletops catch a lot of air. In other words, a stiff breeze may end up sending the folded table out for an unintended tour of the yard or street. Worse yet, high winds may cause the table to topple and break, so consider string it in a protected area when folded up.
If having the option of outdoor play is a high priority, this table may be the one for you. When properly assembled and optimally placed, you’d be hard pressed to do better than this for an all-weather table. However, getting to that point may be a challenge, between the bulk of the product and its less than ideal assembly instructions. However, when it comes together, and the included net and post are attached, this is a beautiful piece of equipment. Just be sure to adjust your stroke to accommodate the different ball bounce.