For many decades, ping pong has been one of the most played sports and a favourite of many. It is an exciting game where two or four players hit a tiny white ball back and forth over a table with a net. It is very similar to tennis but a much smaller version of it.
People who own a ping pong table find it quite challenging to take care of it the best way. A ping pong table is a very delicate item that should be cleaned with specific solutions and not harsh solvents and chemicals.
Natural cleansers are much safer than cleaning liquids available in the market, which could harm the paint and the wood. So we need to be careful when we carry out the cleaning task.
Why We Need To Clean The Table
Many people don’t take cleaning the table tennis table seriously as they dont think it is something necessary to do. The table’s cleanliness is essential, and you should carry out the cleaning task from time to time.
We want to make sure the table is always clean because:
- Offer players with quality and consistent bounce.
- To get rid of dust attached on the net and post.
- Maintain the table so that the painting and coating on the table can last longer.
Required Cleaning Stuff That Needs to Prepare
- Clean water
- Bucket or container
- Washrag, dry towel or soft cloth
Once we know why we need to clean the table and the stuff you need to prepare to carry out the task, now start to clean the table tennis table.
How to Clean a Ping Pong Table – 5 Easy Steps
Step 1: Remove the net
With the help of a screwdriver, unscrew the bolts that hold the net to the table. Most ping pong tables have nets that are tightly screwed on to hold it in place.
Step 2: Make the cleaning liquid.
In a medium-sized bucket or container, mix an equal portion of water with the same vinegar amount. Ensure that the two are mixed well.
Step 3: Prepare the Rag
Insert a washrag or an old soft cloth into the liquid and squeeze well, leaving the rag damp and not soggy. Ensure that there is no water dripping from the rag.
Step 4: Cleaning procedure
Before wiping the table, use a broom to sweep off all the dust from the table. You can use a broom to remove the ash and dust on the table.
With the use of a wet rag, in a circular motion, wipe the entire tabletop thoroughly making sure not to leave out any areas. Wipe the smudges gently with a damp cloth.
Once this is done, take another clean rag, dip into plain water and wipe the table for the second time to remove any excess vinegar from the table. After wiping well, leave the table to dry.
Step 5: Cleaning the net
In a fresh, clean bowl, mix vinegar and water in equal amounts as done before. Insert the ping pong table’s net into the liquid and allow it to stay for at least fifteen minutes. Remove the net after 15 minutes and allow it to dry completely. Once dried, with the help of a screwdriver, screw the net back on to the table.
Using Table Cleaner
There are some table cleaners that you can find on the market to help you clean the table tennis table with ease.
The table cleaner contains no harsh chemicals. It contains the ole H2O which will not damage the table. You can spray the liquid on the table and wipe it with a dry towel.
Read also: Table tennis cleaning kits
How To Provide Good Protection For The Table
You can consider buying a table tennis table cover to cover up your table. The table tennis table cover provides adequate protection for your table from various possible damages. It can also help in making your table tennis table last longer.
You may read on this post for more information and benefits that you can have with the table cover.
Table Maintenance And Things to Avoid
- The tabletop is prone to deformation in places with temperature differences. Place the table somewhere with good air circulation and avoid exposure to the sun.
- Don’t put the table in a rugged and uneven floor surface. Unless the table has the legs with levelers, otherwise you should always put the table on a leveled floor surface to prevent the table from wobbling.
- Remember not to wash the table with water, or even clean the table with any detergent. After using the rag to wipe the table, avoid placing it on the tabletop for a long time. This is because the table’s surface is made of MDF which you should no come into direct contact with water. Too much water on the tabletop, may result in getting warp.
- Do not place hot objects such as boiling water directly on the tabletop.
- Do not sit or lay on the table tennis table to avoid damaging the table legs.
- When the table tennis table is not in use, the two tabletops should be folded, and get some soft objects such as soft cloth or foam paper to place in the middle of these 2 table halves to prevent them from rubbing against each other.
- When the folding table is unfolded, both tabletops should be kept at a certain distance.
- Avoid hitting the table with hard objects or rackets.