For many decades, ping pong has been one of the most played sports and a favorite of many. It is an exciting game where two or four players hit a tiny white ball back and forth over a table with a net. It is very similar to tennis but a much smaller version of it.
People who own a ping pong table find it is quite hard for them to take care of it in the best way. A ping pong table is a very delicate item that should be cleaned with certain solutions and not harsh solvents and chemicals.
Natural cleansers are much safer than cleaning liquids that are available in the market, as it could harm the paint and the wood. So we need to be careful when we carry out the task to clean the table.
Why We Need To Clean The Table
Many people don’t take it serious about cleaning the table tennis table as they think this is not a necessary thing for them to do. Well, ensure the cleanliness of the table is actually quite important and you should carry out the cleaning task from time to time.
We want to make sure the table is always clean is because:
- We want to ensure that the table can always offer players with quality and consistent bounce.
- To get rid of dust that is attached on the net and post.
- To maintain the table so that the painting and coating on the table can last for a longer time.
Required Cleaning Stuff That Needs to Prepare
- Clean water
- Bucket or container
Once we know why we need to clean the table and also the stuff that you need to prepare in order to carry out the task, you can now start to clean the table tennis table. Let us take a look at the top 5 easiest steps on how to clean a ping pong table.
How to Clean a Ping Pong Table – 5 Easy Steps
Step 1: Remove the net
With the help of a screwdriver, unscrew the bolts that hold the net to the table. Most ping pong tables have nets that are tightly screwed on to hold it in place.
Step 2: Make the cleaning liquid
In a medium-sized bucket or container, mix an equal portion of water with the same amount of vinegar. Ensure that the two are mixed together well.
Step 3: Prepare the Rag
Insert a washrag or an old soft cloth into the liquid and squeeze well, leaving the rag damp and not soggy. Ensure that there is no water dripping from the rag.
Step 4: Cleaning procedure
Before wiping the table, use a broom to sweep off all the dust from the table. You can take a broom and remove the ash and dust on the table.
Then with the use of a wet rag, in a circular motion, wipe the entire tabletop thoroughly making sure not to leave out any areas. The smudges that attached to the table should be wiped gently with a damp cloth that is dampened with very little water.
Once this is done, take another clean rag and dip into plain water and wipe the table for the second time. This will remove any excess vinegar from the table. After wiping well, leave the table to dry.
Step 5: Cleaning the net
In a fresh, clean bowl, mix vinegar and water in equal amounts as done before. Insert the net of the ping pong table into the liquid and allow it to stay for at least fifteen minutes. Remove the net after 15 minutes and allow it to dry completely. Once dried, with the help of a screwdriver, screw the net back on to the table.
These are the best steps on how to clean a ping pong table with the help of the most easily available household items. So for those who still are unsure of how to clean a ping pong table, follow these easy steps and you would be surprised at the stunning results. Do this once every week and you would have a clean and protected ping pong table to play on.
Using Table Cleaner
There are some table cleaners that you can find on the market that can help you to clean the table tennis table with ease.
The table cleaner is not having any harsh chemicals inside. It generally contains the ole H2O which will not damage the table. You can simply spray the liquid on the table and wipe it with a dry towel.
Read also: Table tennis cleaning kits
How To Provide Good Protection For The Table
You can consider buying a table tennis table cover to cover up your table. With the use of the table tennis table cover, it can provide good protection for your table from various possible damages. It can also help in making your table tennis to last longer.
You may read on this post for more information and benefits that you can have with the table cover.
Table Maintenance And Things to Avoid
- The tabletop is prone to deformation in places with large temperature differences, so it is advisable for you to place the table somewhere with good air circulation and avoid exposure to the sun. You should not place the table outdoor and let it expose to the sun and rain which can make the table to easy get damage.
- Don’t put the table in a rugged and uneven floor surface. Unless the table is having the legs with levelers, otherwise you should always put the table on a leveled floor surface to prevent the table from wobbling.
- Remember not to wash the table with water, or even clean the table with any detergent. After using the rag to wipe the table, you need to avoid placing the washrag on the tabletop for a long time. This is because the surface of the table is made of MDF which you should not have it to direct get contact with the water. Once you leave too much water on the tabletop, it may get warp easily.
- Do not place heating objects such as boiling water directly on the tabletop.
- Do not sit or lay on the table tennis table to avoid damaging the table legs.
- When the table tennis table is not in use, the two tabletops should be folded, and get some soft objects such as soft cloth or foam paper to place in the middle of these 2 table halves to prevent them from hitting each other.
- When the folding table is unfolded, the two tabletops should be kept at a certain distance. When both table-halves are fully deployed, then only combine them together.
- Avoid placing heavy or objects on the table. Also, you shouldn’t hit the table with hard objects or rackets.